View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Chatter Box Chaser Member

Question Can you buy naked dolls and dress them yourself, for less money?

Hi everybody! I've got a question I need some expert advice for. i.e. Not me, I haven't got a clue... I want A LOT of dolls for my Norman House. Firstly there will be the family as well as staying guests and servants. But I also want to stage it so that it is on a night when they are hosting a ball (hence the ballroom) so I need a lot of extra dolls I can use for that. It's going to probably take years to collect them all (as well as finish the house!) But since I'm sticking with high Georgian times here - 1779 - I find the Georgian dolls tend to be a lot more expensive than the ones that look a bit more Victorian.

I've got a sewing machine I'm learning to use, and I already know how to hand sew. I was wondering if anyone knew of a seller who sold dolls without all their finery, but still basically quite pretty facial features etc and posable. Then I might be able to sew clothes for them, because all the magazines have these gorgeous patterns for lovely outfits, and I'm sure once I got the hang of it I could innovate some more.

So, what do you think, is this viable or another false economy? Anyone know where I might be able to get dolls like this? I do have a massive chunk of doll making Fimo but choosing moulds and so on confusing the heck out of me. I can't make heads or tails of it (pun intended). I'm just not sure how best to go about getting roughly 100 lovely looking Georgian dolls?!?! HELP! SOS!

A Dolls' House by Erin Summers
Blog