View Single Post
Old 28-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Venerated Chatter Box Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Hello again everybody. Thank you for all of the encouragement and hereís the latest update.

The roof paper has been removed and all of the interior has now been stripped out. I am relieved to say that the mould that I found in one of the rooms was just on the paper and hadnít infected the wall itself. Phew!

What Iím really pleased about is that the old copper tape wiring was looking as good as new after more than 20 years. It was protected from the wallpaper and paste by ordinary masking tape. It was a shame to pull it up, but it really isnít up to the job that I am planning.

The problem that I now have is how to remove the adhesive residues that remain. Some of the old carpets were of the self-adhesive variety and they have left some of the floors with an unpleasant stickiness. I donít know what the stair carpets were stuck down with, but the stairs are covered in yellow crystalline ďstuffĒ. Getting that off is going to be a challenge as I canít get my fat hands fully into the stair well. I shall try some isopropyl alcohol to get rid of the stickiness, and I think that the stairs are going to need a combination of scrapers and sand paper to get them ready for repainting.

I have a question for fellow Classical owners. The rear roof of mine has a slot cut out of it. The pictures will give you a better idea of what Iím talking about. I can see pencil marks on this roof panel which suggests to me that I marked it and cut it out. The problem is that I canít remember doing this at all. (Whatís more, the hole is so neat and well done that I very much doubt that I could have done it anyway!)

So my question is do other Classical houses have this hole in the roof? If they do, whatís it for?

Thatís it for now.

All the very best,

Steve

Hi Steve, I am so pleased that the mould is only on the paper and hasn't affected the house itself. As for removing sticky residue, I have always found that white spirit does the job perfectly, but as it has a very strong smell I try and use it sparingly. Also as an owner of a Classical House, I am afraid I cannot help you with the cut-out in the roof as mine didn't have one! Hope you get it sorted and I really look forward to seeing this house progress!

Karen "It's the little things in life ..."