View Single Post
Old 21-04-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonc60 View Post
This sounds like a very interesting build Steve. I've seen those remote control units and am interested to hear that so far it seems to work well. I love that you can make things flicker as well as just light up normally. Wiring is something I've never finished as I don't understand enough about how to finish everything off and get power to the unit. It doesn't help when you have to cut plugs off and strip wires to join lighting to a transformer.
Thank you Shannon. I do understand where you're coming from. I'm by no means any sort of electrics expert and I am still learning as I go along. My "proper" hobby is model railways and there can be a lot of wiring on one of those. I hadn't a clue as to where to start and it all looked completely daunting. But I read up on the subject of electrics (didn't understand it all and still don't!), gave it a try, messed up a couple of times (who's counting?), but finally got things to work.

Keep with it and I'm sure you'll get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sued View Post
Well done Steve. I have seen those units too. Interesting. I look forward to hearing how well they work. Certainly a talking point for visitors being able to turn one's dolls house lights on and off automatically

The oak floor is going to look wonderful when it is down. Are you going to oil it? I think the oil would bring out the colour of the oak beautifully.

Good work.

Sue
Thank you Sue. Yes, the flooring looks too much like a modern laminate floor at the moment and so I'm going to try and make it look older and "heavier" - if that makes sense. I'm making up a number of mini test floors to try up different "recipes" to see which comes out the best.

If anyone out there has some recommendations as to stains, polishes and varnishes, then I'd be very happy to hear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebmicallef View Post
Wow the lights will be very interesting to see. I have seen something similar.Your oak floor is looking really great a d I am looking forward to see what you come up with next.
Thank you Rebecca. As for what I come up with next, one of the things that I have been thinking about is a music room with real music. All I need now are some 1/12th scale musicians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke William View Post
The light set looks quite sophisticated (too sophisticated for me ). The flooring looks very pretty, too. Real wood always looks and feels better than paper.
Thank you Michael. I'm sure that you're doing yourself a huge disservice there. The lighting unit comes with comprehensive wiring instructions - copies of which can be found
here. Seriously, if I can get this to work, then anyone can. I quite agree with you about the look and feel of real wood for the flooring. If I can get the polishing right, I may even get it to smell right too!

(Having read back that last sentence, I'm beginning to think that I may be taking this dolls house lark a little too seriously. Is there someone out there, like a Dolls House Anonymous, who I could speak to about this? )

All the very best,

Steve